Thursday, January 21, 2016

Faith Accompanied by Action: Winter Blanket Mission

What good is it, my brothers, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can that faith save him? If a brother or sister is poorly clothed and lacking in daily food, and one of you says to them, "Go in peace, be warmed and filled," without giving them the things needed for the body, what good is that? So also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead" (James 2:14-17).
The Living Stones Women's Ministry collected blankets to donate to the Media Food Bank Clothing Closet during the months of November and December.  I was happy to get them dropped off this morning, just in time for the freezing, and possibly very snowy, weather we will be experiencing this weekend in the Philadelphia area.

In addition to the nine blankets my mother and I donated back in November, the women of Living Stones provided eleven additional blankets for me to take in this morning!
We received a number of new and gently-used blankets, but I have to give a special shout-out to Stephanie, who provided four hand-tied fleece blankets in the most wonderful fabrics.
I loved these two designs so much, I had to take a special photo of each to remember them:
When I left the blankets at the Clothing Closet this morning, the woman who took them from me said that she would distribute them to the people who came this evening.  I know that it can sometimes feel impossible to be effective in the face of the unspeakable need in our world.  But just imagining eleven children wrapped in these blankets this weekend--children who would not have them if the women of Living Stones had not taken the time and made the effort to purchase, choose, or create them--makes me realize how seemingly small actions can make an incredible difference in people's lives.

Please consider some small act that you can do in the coming week that could make a difference in the life of someone in need.  Glory to God for faith accompanied by action!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...